Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Stupidity

It's funny how when enough people warn you...in fact, to the point where you become defensive about your choice, that when something happens--something that was in fact predicted.

Steelers' 'Big Ben' Breaks Nose, Jaw In Helmetless Crash

Ben Roethlisberger will probably wear a helmet the next time he's on his motorcycle.
Doctors in Pittsburgh said the 24-year-old Steelers quarterback remains in serious but stable condition after Monday's motorcycle wreck. He broke his jaw and nose in the crash. Doctors said the multiple facial fractures were successfully repaired during more than 7.5 hours of surgery. The lead surgeon said doctors didn't discover any other serious injuries.
Police said Roethlisberger wasn't wearing a helmet when his bike hit a car traveling in the opposite direction, which is perfectly legal in Pennsylvania. Roethlisberger was thrown from his bike on impact.

If you click on the headline--you can read the full article and see the pictures.

The fan in me gasped yesterday and held my breath to see if it was him in the first place, because they were unsure. Then, held my breath as we waited to see what all was wrong with him since his head hit the windshield and then the pavement.

We were just discussing the fact that I can get a ticket for choosing not to wear my seatbelt. I do wear my seatbelt. But it should be my choice if I want to take the chance to die without it. Right? So, I can get a fine for not wearing a seatbelt, but if I want to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, I can. Because it's legal in Pennsylvania.

Now, I love motorcycles. I love to ride on the back of them. Unless it's one of those crotch rockets and having my fat ass up in the air that high just doesn't do it for me anymore. '-)

One of the reporters said to Ben recently, "You have to wear a helmet to play football." His response was that of, The NFL makes me wear one--that's their law. In Pa, the law says I don't have to wear one.

The evil author in me who is currently working on her football story says "hmm". Cocky, stubbon, up and coming quarter back who has the world in his hands...

Gabe Mathison perks up from the pages."I resemble that remark."

"A little too much," Tory Sinclair agrees.

No, Gabe isn't modeled after Ben...even though I think he's cute as hell...I started this story before Big Ben. '-) Although, funny sometimes how life and fiction mesh when you least expect it.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Eileen said...

I've worked in rehab for a long time. I've seen a lot of head injuries. My problem isn't if someone chooses to die (that is their issue although I think it is a shame they don't like life a bit more) the problem is major head trauma where they live for years and cost amazing amounts of health care dollars. Helmets should be mandatory.

6/13/2006 03:55:00 PM  
Blogger Stacy Dawn said...

Unbelievable.

But kinda cool how it does mesh with your story.

6/13/2006 04:59:00 PM  
Blogger JoJo said...

I agree!! STUPIDITY!! But I bet that gives you something to work with for Gabe.....

*yay* and *boo* all in one. He better be better soon!

6/13/2006 05:35:00 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

Eileen: Having seen what I have over the last almost week of my mom being in such a place...I think I'd opt for a helmet. I also had a classmate and his fiancee' die on a motorcycle because they were hit by a drunk driver and neither one of them were wearing helmets.

And you're right about the cost of healthcare. Although, in Ben's case, I'm sure he can afford it. But that's beside the point. It was reckless on his part. He wasn't affecting himself only, he affected the whole damned team

6/15/2006 12:54:00 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

Stacy,

Yes, I think I can do something like this within the story. I was looking for that one more thing...and I may've found it.

6/15/2006 12:55:00 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

JoJo,

I haven't heard anything else on him other than he'll be released soon. Been too damned busy.

6/15/2006 12:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home