Thursday, June 15, 2006

Press Kit?

When does an author decide if she wants to write her own press kit to send to the local small town newspapers? Is it after she has ten books under her belt?

I consider myself outgoing. To a point. I can make friends easily. I'm good at PR for other places like my job I have with eHarlequin.com I can talk about their authors, their books and their message boards without stuttering and I can look the person in the eye without the blush creeping into my cheeks.

Ask me about my book(s) and I flounder. I feel inadequate and well, stupid. I'm not sure why. I can talk about it to my writing buddies. But when someone asks me how it's going--ie J-man's baseball manager, I feel the heat rising into my cheeks. Yes, he's a guy. When he says he wants to buy it, I don't 'buy' him. But maybe he will, he always asks about it.

There's another guy in town. He so doesn't look like a reader. To my knowledge he doesn't read. He's a party guy. Every time he sees me--I don't care where he is, he says: "Where's my book?" I should also mention his voice is quite boisterous and you most certainly cannot ignore him because he gets louder. I offered to print him out a copy ( to shut him up ) but he wants the 'real deal".

Of course his question garners questions from others in our town. So, in a way, he's like a publicity manager. If only I could make the words stammering out of my mouth make sense.

Heather Lester has a great article she wrote on self-promotion. But how soon should you go about some of this and when do you reach the point where everyone gets so damned sick of hearing you toot your own horn?

Thoughts?

After thought

My nice/evil editor suggested that I say how much I want JR Ward's Lover Awakened. She is after all, a Goddess. And anyone who loves Brotherhood of the Black Dagger are SURE to LURVE MY books. =)

2 Comments:

Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

I'm still sitting on the fence about press kits, Rae. I'm similar to you in that I could go on and on about craft etc, but ask me to talk about myself and I really have nothing to say. It also scares me to think aobut how the media might manipulate my words. Back when I was doing radio, the newspaper twisted my words on more than one occasion. And I used to satisfy my need to write by writing letters to the editor for the papers. They would also edit them until my point was lost. So I'm gunshy to say the least.

I don't think the time ever comes when you can't expose yourself to the media, so do what feels right for you now. Just my take.

6/16/2006 04:42:00 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

Very valid points. I know the newspaper has always edited my editorials or things I've said in a public forum. While I haven't been made to look like a dork, it'd be nice if they were going to quote what I said to do it exactly as I said.

Now, when the fire happened beside my mom's, they quoted me word for word. But the woman doing the story had a mutual respect in that she knew I was a writer and said when I got published, to contact her.

I guess there in lies my concern that people are going to react negatively...ask me weird questions in front of my kids while we're out and about. I'm not known as Heather Rae Scott. But if my picture was in the paper, then well...it'd be known.

*sighs*

6/17/2006 12:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home