Monday, May 29, 2006

Little Bird...lost

I think today was the worst one ever. I took our bird Sunny out to our deck so she could chirp with the other birds, something she loves. I came back into the house to work on the laptop--which is up and running and so is Norton and some spyware stuff and the other computer is half done. I saved my favorites and my addresses, so I should be good to go. =)

So, birdie is on the deck, I'm in my daughter's room and we hear this crash. Everyone in the house converges and we all look at each other, like what was that? The bird cage!

We go running outside to see the cage on the deck and it's disassembled. Bird seed is everywhere and there's no bird. My oldest sees her about five minutes later in the yard behind ours. She is hopping on the ground near another fence. He grabs a hat and is quietly going to get her. All is not lost. There's hope. Out of no where comes the culprit. A stray black and white cat from hell lunges at Sunny and it has our bird in its mouth. My daughter and I are screaming, so the oldest kicks the cat and it lets go of Sunny. She flies to the other neighbor's porch roof.

My daughter is hysterical and I'm not far from it. Oldest son approaches the neighbor's, explains where our bird is and can he please go in, with the hat, open their window and get our bird. "Absolutely not. No one is coming in or going on our roof." I'm trying my best to stay as calm as possible without barging in. He comes out when he sees me and he says his roof is bad. Fine, I say. She's right by the window, I tell him. He sees where she is, is now okay with oldest going in to get her when his dumbass wife opens the window and two of her kitties are right there. Sunny flies off again and we haven't seen her since.

I feel like the world's worst mother. I put her out on the deck. I can't bring back yet another bird that we fell in love with. I've cried with my kids off and on today. I've searched for her and nothing. I've prayed a lot. There are a lot of odds against her. She's bright yellow. There's an abundance of stray cats around us and there are falcons and hawks. It doesn't look good.

I have her cage on the porch, open with her favorite honey stick in it. I've told people. At this point, it's up to her and God if she comes back to us. Keep us in your thoughts.

8 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Oh no! I hope she finds her way home, Rae. (((HUGS)))

5/30/2006 12:06:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

((Hugs)) You're doing the right thing, and it's not your fault. Even the best pet-parent has bad things happen to their charges. So hang in there.

I finished your book this morning, and it was a great read! (Never expected anything different from you, though...)

Stacey

5/30/2006 09:13:00 AM  
Blogger Stacy Dawn said...

((((Rae and family)))) Praying she finds her way back home.

5/30/2006 10:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Eileen said...

I am SO sorry. I am sending bird fly home vibes your way. This is in NO way your fault. Hang in there.

5/30/2006 01:18:00 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

Thanks everyone. No little bird yet.

Stacey, thanks for reading LTIE and for saying such a nice thing!

5/30/2006 02:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Lynn Daniels said...

{{{HUGS}}} I hope she finds her way home soon.

5/30/2006 11:45:00 PM  
Blogger Lis said...

*hugs* I'll hope and pray for some good news soon. I had a budgie for 12 years, I know what its like to get attached to the little feathered guys.

6/02/2006 12:39:00 AM  
Blogger Rae said...

Thank you for all the hugs. We still haven't found her. We looked at a house the other night. I placed an ad on the internet and a woman called. We didn't see or hear her out there.

My mom ended up getting us a new one. She's yellow with green and black and the green on her belly sorta looks like camouflage, so we're calling her "Cami". No more "s" names for awhile.

6/03/2006 01:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home