Monday, February 20, 2006

Pet Peeves

My kids don't have school today. (insert sobbing here ) So, since I won't have much quiet time unless I go hide in the basement somewhere, which wouldn't be a bad idea except that it's freezing down there. So, what is my pet peeve? My little brother. Love him dearly. Would do just about anything for him. Do I get to see him much? Nope. Do I get to see my nephew much? Nope. He and his wife came to our house Sat night after a diaster of a birthday dinner for my grandmother. We were going to play cards, something that we haven't played together in ages. His wife is a sore loser. But she wasn't so bad lsat night. My little brother walked into my house, sat on my couch and immediately picked up my laptop and started going to sites that well, have a ton of pop-ups and are bogged down with media. He likes to watch cartoons of the gross type and listen to stupid shit. What bothers me most is that he doesn't ask. That would bother me in and of itself IF he hadn't passworded his computer long ago while he had MY printer ( he borrowed it ) and I could not get in there to print something I needed. Now, granted, this was years ago, but I haven't forgotten the hissy fit he threw when he found out I was trying to use his computer without asking. Every single time he comes to visit, he does this. He's even turned on a computer that was off. Does he ask? Nope. My other pet peeve with him is that if I confront him, I probably won't see him or my nephew, because he tends to pout. The third pet peeve that I have with him is this. He has friends. I have friends too. Are my friends my life? No. They are not. My "family" is. I love my friends dearly, but when it comes to family, no matter how badly they treat me, I always make them a priority. Now, I may joke with some of my online friends and Dee's Moo calls me Auntie Rae. Does she refer to me as this every day. Perhaps. Does Moo see me? No. Does Moo see me more than his Aunt Pet? No. My nephew sees his "Uncles and Aunts" ie their friends more than he sees me. The same with his "grandma's and grandpa's" he's collected. And it bugs the hell out of me when his parents refer to their friends as aunts and uncles. Off of my brother now, and onto some family members who think that me selling a couple of books is going to: a.) entitle them to never have to do their laundry again--I guess I'm going to buy them a maid service b.) buy them a brand new Mustang & a Hummer--I'm going to buy myself a car first. My mother and grandmother have plans for money I haven't even made yet! Final pet peeve and I promise I shall go someplace else... Friends who only bother with you when they need something. I have this friend. We used to be the very best of friends. She has threatened to blackmail me someday with the knowledge she has on me since we've been friends and honestly, there isn't much blackmail because well, I'm not that bad. I've done things that most of you reading this has done. So, whatever she thinks she has on me...this person never calls me unless she needs someone to watch her daughter or she needs money. Now, by money, I mean for a charity deal or she is having some sort of party. She called me three times today. ( Sunday ) starting this afternoon. She didn't say why the first time and I figured since the kids were off tomorrow that she would need a baby sitter. So, I let the answering machine catch it. The second time, she may've told me what she wanted, but the message got erased. The third time it was her daughter and my daughter answered the phone. She was having a party. A party in which I would go to at a moment's notice and purchase something so that she could acquire points and well get free stuff. Now, did she just decide this morning when she woke up to invite me or do you think I was an oversight? I think I was an oversight. I think she forgot about me until the last minute and thought, I'll call Rae and she'll come because she always pulls through. Rae didn't. What are some of your pet peeves?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Lynn Daniels said...

Oh, Rae, I feel your pain about the kids. Mine got a 5-day weekend, and I'm SO ready for them to go back to school!

{{{HUGS}}} on your family pet peeves.

My pet peeves? They're mostly driving-related, since I don't have any family nearby. *g*

We'll start with inconsiderate drivers. When I learned how to drive, I was taught that you don't pull out in traffic unless you can reach traveling speed before other vehicles approach. Yet, when I'm on the road, I'm constantly slamming my brakes in order to avoid rear-ending the idiot who's apparently decided my SUV should stop on a dime because THEY have someplace they want to be.

And while we're talking about inconsiderate drivers... I understand the need for caution on the roads. Really, I do. But traveling 15-20 mph below the posted speed limit, in my opinion, is overkill.

I've got a bunch of other "inconsiderate driver" pet peeves, but I'll stop there.

Good luck finding some quiet time today!

2/20/2006 02:13:00 AM  
Blogger Rae said...

Lynn: I'm with you on drivers. What I hate the most is when you're driving along and someone decides to pull out in front of you and instead of speeding up, they go below the speed limit, so you slam on your breaks and go at a snail's pace because they were in such a hurry to pull out in front of you, yet crawl forward and then...THEN there are those that pull out in front of you, go thirty feet and turn back off the damned road!

No wonder there's road rage out there!

I'm finding my quiet time right now. Will probably pay for it later, but something hit me that I had to write down.

2/20/2006 02:40:00 AM  
Blogger JoJo said...

Hey Rae, I never fell into the friends 'auntie' either. What ya say we beat some sense into him?!?!?!???? Right after you hide your laptop from him! *hehehehe*


Love ya lots!!!

2/20/2006 05:12:00 AM  
Blogger Dee said...

LOL, actually, you're Moo's only extra Auntie, lol. Alan's family has no sense of famillial relation. Anyone old is a grandparent. Anyone parents age is an Uncle or Auntie. To further confuse my kid, my family has very strict famillial relations...in spanish. LOL! So, if you're asian, you're an uncle/auntie. If you're hispanic, you're a tio/tia.

But since you're on my side, and I talk to you more often than some of my siblings, lol, you're an exception, lol.

Confused yet?

Yeah, him too. :)

My peeves? People who purposely are inconsiderate. That covers alot of ground, but nothing drives me crazier than waiting on people who say they'll do something...but not when. Up the fricken wall, honestly.

And I'd have smacked your brother. A lot. LOL!

Dee

2/20/2006 12:30:00 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

this person never calls me unless she needs someone to watch her daughter or she needs money. Now, by money, I mean for a charity deal or she is having some sort of party.

Are you sure you don't know my friend Karen? We (and by "we" I mean a group of us) are constantly inviting her to various events at our houses, from Stampin' Up workshops to backyard barbeques. However, socializing with us is apparently beneath her. Unless, of course, SHE'S having a Stampin' Up, DK Books, Creative Memories or other type of home party. It's to the point you wonder why waste a stamp on her, but then if you DON'T include her you hear about it, too.

As for driver pet peeves...as someone who does a great deal of walking, people who don't watch for or yield to pedestrians seriously irk me. By law, if someone is waiting to cross at a 4-way, drivers are supposed to stop and allow pedestrians to cross.

To add to that are the idiots who start to turn the corner before you are safely across to the other side. This is a serious problem at the corner near my place, and they don't seem to understand how dangererous this is. If someone were to trip or fall they could be run over. As there are two bus stops at that corner, not to mention kids crossing, drivers really need to pay attention and not be in such a hurry.

2/20/2006 03:22:00 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

JoJo: If only beating sense into him would work. Stubborn, that kid is.

Dee: I think I understood most of that and trust me, wasn't complaining about being Auntie Rae. I love that little guy as if he were my own. Even if I haven't ever met him.

Heather: No, afraid I don't know Karen. But as someone who walks a lot as well, I understand your pain about people not waiting for you to cross.

The other thing here in town, is that it's one way. There are two HUGE signs that say DO NOT ENTER and what do people do? They enter. The one evening, I was leaving Rite Aid, backed up and looked straight into headlights from a car coming in the direction it shouldn't be. He was inches away from my driver's side door. And...it was a State Trooper! I rolled my window down and apologized for pulling out in front of him, but added you do know you're going the wrong way?

He said, "You should always look both ways."

I felt like saying, uh, NO. You were wrong buddy. I pulled forward so he could go as there was no room for me to manuever around him.

2/20/2006 04:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home