Tuesday, January 10, 2006

My Grandma

My Grandmother lost her battle with cancer Sunday evening. My aunt found two things in her purse of significance that she thought I should know about. One was the poem I wrote when her son, my dad passed away. The other was a poem she'd found somewhere and copied. My cousin Ashley, the poet in the family is going to read that one on Wednesday. As for me, I was asked to write a poem for my grandma, that she would want me too and my mom suggested that I celebrate not mourn her. A friend sent me this quote: "Rather than mourn the absence of the flame, let us celebrate how brightly it glowed." I tried to incorporate some humor into this and perhaps you have to have been there to appreciate this, but I have to read this on Wednesday and I would appreciate feedback. ( I guess this is where I warn that all of the unneccessary comma's are for me so that when I'm standing up there trying not to cry and be nervous, that I'll remember to pause and breathe. )
Grandma
Memories of the past rush through my mind, I try to recapture them, hold them close and rewind To a time and place that doesn’t hold fears When illness and sadness slowly disappears. I remember: Gin and not of the drinking sort Playing cards became a new kind of sport Crazy eights, Go fish, War and Rummy Grandma was always the first to yell rummy- dummy! She taught us to play solitaire in three different ways Then Sorry, Parcheesi and Yahtzee were the craze She taught some of us, mainly me, the ethics in losing And when we were done, she could be caught in her rocker snoozing. And although she wasn’t wealthy, she sure wasn’t poor her gifts didn’t come from riches, they came from so much more. It was her kindness, her wisdom, her style and grace That made her one of a kind, a rarity, an ace. Because she took us all in and placed us under her wing Whether you were blood or brought to her by a wedding ring It didn’t matter to her from where you came You became a part of her just the same And that part lives on in you and me If only in our memories We each have them, one of a kind She’s not someone we can leave behind. What she did and said came straight from her heart And if we hold her in ours, we’ll never be apart And as this poem draws to the end We should celebrate the life of a mother, sister, grandmother, aunt and friend. I can still hear her voice loud and clear Come on listen, I’m sure you’ll hear She’ll crook her finger right this way And tell us to wipe our tears away. She’d tell us we’d make an awful sight To, straighten up and fly right!

8 Comments:

Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, Rae. Your poem is a beautiful memory for everyone and a wonderful, loving tribute to a great lady. I wish I'd known her! She sounds lovely.

((((( hugs )))))))) babes.

~Ann

1/10/2006 06:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rae,

That is a beautiful poem, it moved me. Beautiful!

I like it just the way it is, don't change it, you just might take away the feelings you first placed in it.

I am sadden to hear your grandmothers passing, my prayers are with you and your family.

Respectfully,

M'Lady

1/10/2006 12:08:00 PM  
Blogger Kate R said...

It's a lovely poem and it tells me why you valued her. I bet she would get a big kick out of it, too.

I'm sorry. ((((((Rae))))))

1/10/2006 12:18:00 PM  
Blogger Donica Covey said...

It's SOO GReat Rae! don't change a thing! my love and prayers are with you, all of you.

Huggles,
Donica

1/10/2006 01:39:00 PM  
Blogger robynl said...

So sorry to hear of your loss; great poem.

1/11/2006 12:00:00 PM  
Blogger Kris Starr said...

Great poem, honey. I am positive your G'ma would get a huge kick out of it.

{{{{{Rae}}}}} Know that we're all thinking of you.

K.

1/11/2006 02:48:00 PM  
Blogger Lis said...

Beautiful poem Rae!!
(((hugs)))

1/11/2006 07:22:00 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

What a beautiful tribute. So sorry to hear of your loss, Rae.

1/13/2006 01:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home